Hubspot recently published a killer infographic on “How Word of Mouth, Customer Reviews are Changing the Marketing World.” The infographic highlights the growing distrust of traditional advertising as consumers are turning to their friends, ratings, and reviews to gain insight on purchase decisions. Take a look at some of the key stats below.
Outbound is Out
- Only 8% of consumers prefer online ads as the best source of product information.
- 65% mute the TV, change the channel or skip ads.
- 75% of people don’t accept advertisements as the truth.
Inbound is In
- 63% of social media users feel consumer ratings are #1.
- 90% of consumers discuss specific bands casually 90 times per week.
- 90% of people trust brand recommendations from friends.
- 70% trust consumer opinions.
- Products that have received 50+ reviews create greater returns (which is 65% higher than products that have less than 5 reviews.)
- 61% of consumers use search engines to read about products before a purchase.
- 71% are more likely to purchase when referred by social media.
Success Story Stats
- American Eagle added the “Like” button to every product on their site, and Facebook shoppers spent 57% more money.
- Every Eventbrite link shared on Facebook generates $2.52 in ticket sales.
- Each Ticketmaster event post by customers on Facebook results in $5.30 in direct ticket sales.
- When Levi’s added the “Like” button, they saw a 40X increase in referral traffic.
Traditional marketing is so 90's. Modern marketing is all about recommendations.
Read how companies in various industries are energizing their Brand Advocates to create online recommendations by downloading, "Turning Your Customers into a Powerful Marketing Force."