Last night, Zuberance sponsored the event held by the Silicon Valley American Marketing Association's (SVAMA) on "The Next Step in Social: Beyond Listening & Engagement" at the Adobe headquarters in San Jose, CA. The highly engaged audience was there to gain insights from top marketers from Adobe, Intuit, Altimeter Group, and Zuberance on energizing Brand Advocates and measuring social media ROI. *Note- We will have the recorded version of the panel discussion available here on Zuber Rants next week. Stay tuned!
Here are some of the key takeaways from the discussion:
- Globalization of business is not an excuse for lacking a good relationship with your customers.
- The moment you start calling your customers "end users" respect goes out the door. They are PEOPLE.
- "Thinking about buying an Advocacy army? Forget it. You can't buy love." -@christianarens
- "Recommendations are the new advertising." - CMO of Visa
- B2B users are the heaviest users of social media, so it pays to have a strong community to guide them to your brand.
- Measuring social media ROI varies across businesses. Zuberance developed ROA (Return on Advocacy) to measure the value of a recommendation.
- "Would you really stay away from social media even if there was no ROI? No, of course not." - @robfuggetta
- 9 out of 10 people are listening but not posting on branded social channels. Deal with negative comments publicly and show your community that you're listening. Some of the best campaigns come from taking negative responses and fixing it, which can turn detractors into Advocates.
- Intuit invites their Advocates into the "Intuit Inner Circle" where they are given access to exclusive events and information.
- The voice of customer helps fuel innovation. Adobe uses their Facebook fan page as a forum to engage with users, gain insight, and bring that info back to product development.
- "Social media is bringing people into the company. It's not about getting through gate keepers anymore." - @mariapoveromo
- The key to energizing Word of Mouth? Simply give Advocates the tools to recommend in ways that are easy, convenient, are distributable across channels.
Thank you to the panelists and everyone who came out!